Wednesday, July 09, 2008

10:35 ki Fast Local


These trains do not start with a chug and move like a lazy serpent. They start with a thud and gain speed like wind. This is a typical Mumbai Local. I do not remember the date but all what I remember is the closeness of her in the crowded train and her warm breath over my neck which were more prominent than the breeze gushing in from the wide doors of the train.
I had reached Thane station 12 minutes before the scheduled departure of 10:35 fast local for Bombay VT. The goons preferred naming it Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus. I sat comfortably near a window seat when my nose was filled by with the spicy flavour of vada being fried. I peeped out to see a vendor fishing out hot vadas from a big Kadhayee. I couldn't resist myself and thought to grab one. There was still sometime left for the train to depart. If Mumbai Locals form the lifeline of Mumbai then these vada pav are like the fuel for the Mumbaikars. I gulped down the excess saliva which was flushing my mouth and went to buy it.

I turned back to see that my window seat was already taken by an elderly person. I didnt want to crib about it as the vada pao was going to be more relinquishing than the window seat. I got my vada pao and paid hurriedly. I sprang onto the train which would move any moment after the clock struct 10:35. It was tough to get inside. I managed to inch myself on the footstep of the train. And then the next moment came as a stagger in my life. I saw her rushing towards the train which had just started. She rushed balancing her bag and her duppatta at the same time. She caught hold of the vertical iron bar in between the wide gate of the local. Little did she realise that she was actually holding my hand. She stepped over my left leg and I helped her to get in the train.


I didnt want to leave the door because of the suffocation which was inviting me inside but didn't want to let this girl get smashed in the maddening crowd. I tried to make some space for her. She was still panting and a sweat drop was inching down her neck over her ear lobes. She gasped for more air and looked at me. She smiled and thanked me for my gesture. We had enough space now as the crowd had settled along with the zooming speed of the train. But this was a short lived comfort. No sooner the train had gained speed than it stopped at Mulund and a fresh "herd" of people pushed in. She was pushed closer to me. I moved my face away from her lest people would have taken it otherwise.


She whispered sorry and her face turned red in embarrassment. "I boarded the wrong coach; I always board the Ladies Coach - I am sorry", said she. I smiled back at her in assurance that it was fine and that the crowd shall settle soon. The rattling noise of the fast moving train, the chirping crowd and also the rhythmic lines of kirtan group sitting in the adjacent coach could not perturb the silence which was there between us. Suddenly the crowd started pushing even more. I looked out to realize that Dadar would be next station. She asked if the next station is Dadar - that was a question as well as an information. May be she wanted me to build some space for her amidst the crowd for her to alight safely.

I confirmed her about the next station and said that I would be alighting as well. I swirled by eye balls. My alter-ego showed me the middle finger. Was I really alighting at Dadar ? And if yes, what excuse shall I give to my Boss ? I didn't want to think about my Boss. She appears not much different than Mayawati.


I thought that I will get down at Dadar and may be I will be able to befriend her. Dadar came. She got down and so did I. I tried to move with her for a couple of minutes when I saw a tall man waving her hand from near the ticket counter.


She rushed and they hugged each other.


I stood there reading the indicators - I need to catch the next train to Bombay VT. Life is fast in Mumbai - isn't it ;) ?

2 Comments:

Blogger Chandan Kumar said...

what should i say u have explored ur writing ability for direct to heart and inetresting storyline.keep it up...

12:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bro u got unlucky might be ur luck was nt there with u at tht point .

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home